Saturday, January 24, 2009

Rags and Sequins


This last week was interesting. Still stressed about lack of camera (i.e., lack of work/freedom/fun/usefulness) on Monday, I headed to language school on another (unsurprisingly) grey day. I'd spent the night before alternating between depression and trying to regain perspective. 'Be careful what you wish for,' right? Sitting down on the tram, still consoling myself with "Just be patient", "Just give the whole thing over to God and don't be so dependent," and "It's just a camera, other people have real problems." And then I hear a voice, and saw a man walking pleadingly down the tram aisle.

"Does the lady have any change? Does the gentleman have any change?"

I'd wondered the other day why, unlike other cities, I hadn't seen people asking for money on public transport. Pretty interesting timing. I gave him some change, and a smile. And he moved on.

A few hours later, out of language class, I headed back home the same way. No panhandler (is there a politer word, btw?) but was still struck by the irony of city life and economics. Off at the tram stop, you walk through the sub-zero weather past old, bundled up women at little 30 cent pretzel stands into a heated mall. Down the escalator to the subway, you walk past stores like Dolce&Gabbana where the cheapest handbag might be $100 on a good day. Going over a bridge, you see self-important city trains headed off to Milan, Paris, Prague... and tucked under a corner of a bridge there's a pile of blankets where some homeless person made a bed. Once in my neighborhood, you're passed by gleaming silver Nissans as you walk past a dumpster with a withered shabby gentleman pulling out a half-eaten pizza.

All that. And days when I've got my iPod playing, studying language lists, or looking at train tickets for media work, I blank out the rags as well as the sequins. Which is- full circle- why I want a camera. So I- and you- can really see what I see.




(Good post on the subject from another city blogger -"Gentlemen, you give me hope!"

No comments: