Thursday, January 01, 2009

First of all, I'm *home*.

From the very beginning of this adventure, I decided I'd make the best of and try to enjoy whatever place I found myself in... didn't know that would be so EASY.

For one thing, I've spent most of my life in Europe. For another thing, people here have been really welcoming, and I have two of the best roomies in the world. And for a third thing, I had high expectations of myself, but deliberately low expectations of what I'd find. And what I've found has been great - recognisable signs, public transport, and warm welcomes. And an *adorable* wee apartment to make into a home and actually settle down in.... God is GOOD! He would still be good whether I loved or hated it here, but He's definitely worked this all out, and added in sweet small details like a creek and bridge about 5 mins walk from my apartment... like roommates who I 'click' with... like hints of basketball and volleyball possibilities... Just so many "God-winks", as my one friend says....

And I know, definitely well, that there's a 'honeymoon' stage in the psychological view of cultural adjustment, that there will be days when I wake up and hate it here. I just don't think there will be that many of them, because this is pretty much all I've wanted for a long time. And I have language school, hours a day, for the next few weeks, so that may well 'kick my tail'. But I'm already understanding a lot of what's going on, so it'll just be the amp'd up intensity and brain drain... yis.

Anyway! Three days in, cloudy and cold as it is, I'm loving it here. Very content.

1 comment:

Jean said...

I'm thrilled you're there safely and loving it! A new year, a new home, a new language, a new job.... wonder what else 2009 will bring? Take care. Email us so we can figure out facebook. Love ya.