Sunday, January 18, 2009

Not going to lie today....

Not that I normally lie, but I don't always tell all the truth. Generally because all the truth involves good and bad, and I'd rather just tell the good, because that's much more fun and there seem to be abundant people who like to just tell the bad.

And there's been so much good here. I've loved language class, and according to my teacher have done really well. Since all I have to go by is whether I understand a little more each day, I'm more focused on whether I can finish our workbook by the end of the next two weeks, which will finish off language class for me.

Adjusting to the culture here... total non-issue so far. It's Europe, where I grew up. Ergo, it's home. Obviously, there are small blips of surprise, like the evening I found liquid milk in small plastic *bags* in the grocery store. Or the time I went to apply for residency and found out passport photos are taken left-profile, not straight on. For the most part, though, it's been an easy transition and a fun one.

This weekend was hard, though. Exhausted from a long week of class, applying for residency, life in general, and getting one roommate fully moved in and another safely packed off for a week. Told the leaving Ragazza that hopefully I'd be getting my new video camera for work this week and could follow her down and catch some of the work on film...

Which leads to the whole 'not lying' issue. If this weekend was 'hard', tonight topped it. My supervisor, having talked with our other supervisor, told me that I'm probably going to have to wait till the beginning of February and our work meeting to figure out my work details. Like my camera, or lack of. And from the beginning I'd been told (and nicely accepting of) the fact that my job this first month was just to focus on language, adjusting, and getting a feel for what's needed.

But it's been three weeks, and tonight I can't handle it. Language is fine, people are fine, and I *need* my media. I am not okay with not having my job for the next two weeks. I know there's stuff I can do around the edges. I know there are good reasons. I know I obviously need to learn patience. And - even worse- I know there are people all around with way more important problems and bigger problems, which makes me feel like a total jerk for being upset about this, thanks. And explaining, "Separation from media and communication is slow *death* for me..." is not going to change the situation.

Two more weeks. I can deal with that. Especially if there are no more weekends like this.

No comments: