Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"We have always been D__ville people," was the quote from one of the more established families in the area, as I interviewed the visitors of the small but gracious seaside community.

Miss A__ stared eloquently across the water and rested her dainty gloves on her ivory parasol handle as i interviewed her
"We have been coming here, oh, since I can remember," she continued, a hint of a nostalgia in her voice
She then nodded back at the tasteful cottage, adding, "And Maman and Papa long before that."

I found out, while interviewing with the lovely demoiselle of the house, that the A___ Family is accustomed to spending their Thanksgiving holidays at the seaside, among other occasions. They currently reside in the bustling town of M____, a fact Miss A___ has little to comment on beyond a rue shrug.
"It is the employment there, what can I say?"
One is hardly surprised at her opinion, however gently expressed- M___ is hardly the social capital of the world, or even of the area. Small wonder, then, that she and her family make the arduous carriage ride to their haven at D___ville as often as feasible.

When I mention this, she gives a small laugh.
"Arduous? Heavens, no. There are so many quaint inns along the road, and the restaurants..." -she kisses her fingers in the French fashion, reminding me that, of course, she has toured Europe and even parts of the Pacific.

"Why the restaurants?" I ask, already knowing the answer.
Her skill in the kitchen is a well kept secret, but any who are privileged to know and visit her may be delighted with the creations that issue forth. Small wonder, then, that she mentioned the restaurants as bright spots, but just as smoothly avoids any revealing comments. "I simply enjoy sampling the food wherever I am, you know, plus the pauses along the road give my dear Jacques a chance to stretch his paws, don't they my darling?" (This last was addressed to her diminutive terrier, though to refer to him as a dog seemed almost insulting in light of her obvious appreciation of his intellectual and even personable qualities.)

Before I could ask any more questions, I heard a voice from inside their summer home calling the Mademoiselle by name.
She turned to me with an enchanting smile.
"It has been a pleasure to make your acquaintance, albeit during an interview, and I do hope you found what you were wanting?"
I assured her that I had, in abundance, and that the pleasure was mutual.
With that, she dropped a small curtsey, as I walked off into the sunset, literally, musing over the conversation and my notes.

A holiday in D___ville indeed....

The End

No comments: