Sunday, December 21, 2008

1. Tell us briefly what you are going to be doing over the next few years

I'm going to be working in Europe as a photojournalist with missions teams and tour groups, essentially. There'll also be some travelling, language, and volunteer work with NGO's - non government organisations.

2. Why is this important to us?
I'll get to tell stories about the various cities and what God's doing with the nationals and groups, using photos and videos and websites. God's doing so much in Europe! in america, we tend to think of Him doing amazing things in africa or china or south america, the *needy * places. and they are needy- physically and spiritually- but Europe isn't saved by any means. And people need to know that they can pray, and give, and go to make a difference there!

3. What would you like us to know about serving in a cross-cultural mission project?
It's challenging. You go for a few days, for a few weeks or months, and you come back changed. You're suddenly looking at your life in the States and saying, 'Wow, I have so much and they have so little!' or whether you come back and say, "I *needed* God when i was gone- and I need Him with me still! Sitting in church once a week (or month?) is not enough for me- I need to wake up and make Him big in my life!" Going on a cross cultural mission project opens your eyes, to what God's doing in other peoples' lives, to what He wants to do in your life.

4. How can we pray for you?
That i won't lose track of the bigger picture when I'm studying language and working. I love media, but I need to love God more. Please pray that I'll take the time to keep up good networking with people here and overseas, because those connections are too valuable to lose.

5. What would you say to those who say that they cannot join in a mission program because of school and work needs?
I met a girl two months ago who's moving as a missionary to the jungles of Peru. She's got a student loan. She thought about working it off and then going overseas, but realised she couldn't wait, that the people there couldn't wait to hear about God. So she gave her family power of attorney, and is sending most of her paycheck every month to that student loan for the next two years. By the time she leaves the jungle, her loan won't be gone but it'll be smaller, and she'll have been faithful.
As far as school and work needs, another thing is that God can use- wants to use- the skills you have. We hear about medical personnel and the great work they do overseas, but there's so much more. I'm a media person, so that's what I'll be doing, and I love sports, so I'll be volunteering in sports ministries. I personally know businessmen, english teachers, musicians and artists, athletes, and tour guides who have just transplanted their lives overseas and are serving God daily. Some of them go over independently, or with Shell Oil or Nike, and they just live transparent lives as committed believers. And some go overseas with a sending agency, which is pretty cool. The Lottie Moon Christmas offering? Also very cool. That's what supports workers around the world so they can focus their time on the lost, before they focus on anything else. FBC is such a deliberate acts 1:8 church, right? "Go into all the nations..." How and where we go makes a difference, but the most important thing is that we're following God obediently.

6. What would you say to those who say that they cannot join in a mission program because they would miss their family?
For one thing, you can miss your family anywhere you go. I know I miss mine whether I'm working three states or three countries away! This is, by the way, where skype and emails and facebook come in handy - i'll be able to wave at my parents and hear their voices via videocamera!
For another thing, in separation, the people overseas and your teammates become your family. My little brothers had six or seven women who considered themselves surrogate grandmothers! Sometimes families and friends visit - and you get to show them firsthand what you're doing.

And sometimes you just have to say, "I'm sorry, but God has called me to go to a certain place. and I can't turn back. I love you dearly, but this is where i need to be. "

No comments: