Sunday, February 12, 2006

"If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't been much of a day.- John A. Wheeler

By that definition, today was much of a day. The something strange being the *interesting* censorship on www.xanga.com, where I happen to have another blog. I happen to like posting on blogs that I own, but the censorship issue is making it complicated, since I'm not always sure when I'll be blocked or in what sections. At the moment, depending on how hard I click, how many times I click, or how fast I click, I get this message,

"We apologize the site you are attempting to visit has been blocked due to its content being inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates.
If you think this site should not be blocked, please visit the Feedback Form available on our website."

First of all, I agree that there is questionable content on Xanga. But I also don't think it's right to block an entire site because it holds writers out there who want to blog gory or intimate details. If censorship is that important, I would suggest first shutting down all the sites that are *focused* on perceivedly inappropriate details before shutting down ones that happen to *include* such details. Another alternative would be to set up a censorship system that inserts */?__%# for key words, and leave sites in general alone.

Thoughts on this issue?

No comments: