Sunday, January 15, 2006

I was thinking yesterday, strolling along the beach in the UAE, how totally different my life was a week ago. Last Saturday I was doing in the Netherlands, where gender differences are minimal and clothes tend to be chosen on basis of weather and activity as opposed to cultural traditions and modesty.

And what could be more representative of all that than my grey running shoes? Last week I wore them on a court as I played hard with a men's volleyball team; this week I wore them as I walked sedately with another lady and her children in public. Last Saturday, besides the sneakers, I wore a sleeveless jersey and semi-short shorts; this week, besides the sneakers, I wore jeans and a long sleeved shirt. And even then I stood out slightly as a foreigner- if I had really wanted to be unnoticeable I would have worn a head scarf and a long black coat. (Then again, if I had really wanted to be unnoticeable at the volleyball game I would have worn a beard...) But I'll pass on going the total distance if it's not important... there are plenty of other foreigners (and jean-wearing nationals) here. When I visited Iran a few years ago I wore a manteau/abbaya like every other woman in public areas- not wearing one would have attracted too much attention.

So this area has a relaxed dress code in contrast, and I imagine things would be even more international in the heart of Dubai....


1 comment:

secretdubai said...

Hello - I stuck you on the blogroll - if you would like a member invite to UAE community blog, please drop me an email at [my username here] at gmail.

And welcome to the UAE!